Fläkt Woods supplies eQ air handling units
and IQCA chilled beams to Gina Tricot's new
Gina Tricot is a success story in the Swedish retail business and now it crowns its expansive journey with a new head office in Borås in southwest Sweden. The project architect is Gert Wingårdh and Fläkt Woods supplies all the ventilation technology.
The building will be 8,000 square meters with seven floors. The facade is in white and black glass, the company's colours. The new headquar-ters is located in Borås, Sweden's textile center.
- We started Gina Tricot in Borås so there is an obvious choice for our new headquarters to be located here. The Swedish Textile School and very skilled people are located here", says Jörgen Appelqvist, founder and CEO.
The company Byggfast in Gothenburg has been mandated to enforce the project with a Construction Management approach.
- We have been working and building for almost a year and the house is expected to be ready in November 2010, "said Magnus Stenholm, project manager at Byggfast.
The architect has put high demands on the aesthetic design of the building. The facade consists of black and white glass, and acts as an exterior building shell which reduces the radiating heating from the sun. The AHU rooms are not located at the top of the building as they usually are. Instead, the top floors have conference rooms and staff canteens with a beautiful view over the city Borås.
- We have installed compact air handling units on each floor in the heart of the building instead of putting them on the attractive top floors. We think it’s smarter to use the areas next to the stairwells for the air handling units, said Magnus Stenholm.
Fläkt Woods has delivered six eQ air handling units of the model EQ 018 to the building and a further 280 chilled beams of the model IQCA 120.
- We chose Fläkt Woods as a supplier because Fläkt Woods is a well-known player in the market with high quality products and good guara-ntees. The aesthetic requirements, including hidden installations and partly black chilled beams (a special colour required by the architect) have also been met by Fläkt Woods. The building's design and in particular the system solution with integrated control means that the building is very energy efficient. We have managed the certification level of "Green Building" and have applied to classify the house as a green building, "said Magnus Stenholm.
The new headquarters is strategically located along the highway between Stockholm and Gothen-burg. For all of the staff who commutes from Gothenburg it is very easy to just turn off the road, drive down in the garage and take the elevator to the office. In addition, commuter rail and bus stops are literally inches from the building.
- We have an incredible journey behind us, says Jörgen Appelqvist. Every two years since 2003 we have doubled the turnover. We are a women's business, by women for women, and our success shows that we are offering high-quality products that women desire.
Facts about the ventilation system
The building is ventilated with supply and exhaust air. Each floor has air handling units with heat recovery via rotary heat exchangers. Fresh air intake is positioned on the roof and is directed through a shared outdoor air duct. The on-demand ventilation system is controlled by presence detectors on each floor. Supply air is handled through energy efficient chilled beams on floors 3-7. The office rooms have constant air flow and all meeting rooms have ventilation that can be forced according to need. On the 8th floor the ventilation system is designed for room temperature regulation with a VAV function (Variable Air Volume).